Every business can benefit from blogging.
The days of people picking up the Yellow Pages to find the relevant business in their area are virtually over.
Nowadays, when someone needs something done, or a question answered, they turn to Google and if your business isn’t there, you won’t get their custom.
Not only will a blog help boost your search engine rankings, making it easier for customers to find your business, it will keep people on your website for longer.
On top of that, you can also repurpose the content and populate your social media profiles with original material.
A good example of a local business still reaping the benefits of blogging in 2016 is Bonawe House.
The business lets out self catering holiday cottages near Oban and boasts the featured snippet on Google when you type in Summer in Oban because of a blog post they wrote in April 2016 titled When is the best time to visit Oban?
So as the old proverb goes: The best time to plant a tree was 20-years ago, the second best time is now.
So ask yourself what type of blog content would you be able to create. The sooner you start creating, the better off you will be.
Think of a blog like a savings account, the more you put in, the more you’ll get out at the end of it.
A good place to start when you’re coming up with blog ideas is to write down the questions you’re most commonly asked and then write a blog post answering each one, as this is likely what people are searching for online.
However, for those of you who are in need of a little inspiration, I’ve pulled together a list of 100 blog ideas that local businesses could use.
Blog ideas for a restaurant
- Are there stories behind any of the dishes on the menu?
- Profile the farmers or food manufacturers you use and are proud to work with
- Have local or special artwork on the walls? Tell us about it.
- Share recipes from your menu that you don’t mind giving away or share some of the recipes from older menus
- Every one of your menu items could be paired with an alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink or two. Talk up the flavors of each and why a particular wine, beer, cocktail, or mocktail would go hand-in-hand.
- Answer common questions people encounter, such as how to properly eat crab? How to cook a scallop?
- Do you have photographs of the view from your restaurant? Why not write a blog post showing off the view from all four seasons – this will give visitors all year round the chance to see what they could experience.
- Local events? Do you have any fundraisers coming up? Are there any local events you could talk about.
- Showcase your specials in a weekly blog
- Staff picks of the month: Do they have a favourite meal, cocktail, or dinner and drink combo?
- Create a hashtag on social media #yourrestaurant and encourage people to upload photographs of their food and compile a blog post of the best photos.
Blog post ideas for hotels and B&Bs
- Five things to do in Oban
- Highlight some of the best day trips from Oban.
- A regular monthly round-up of local events
- Give people a virtual tour of the accommodation
- An Instagram guide to the area. Which locations, cafes, bars, etc would give them the best photographs to fill up their feed
- The most interesting facts about the area
- The most popular landmarks
- How to spend 48-hours in the town – what are the must dos and don’ts
- Throwback Thursday – Everyone loves looking at old photographs. Do you have any old photos of your hotel? Create a blog post comparing them to how it looks now.
- The funniest items left behind by guests? You might even get a little bit of local press with this one
Blog post ideas for gyms or personal trainers
- Workouts: Post online workouts that beginners can follow
- Everything you need to know before joining the gym
- 5 fitness podcasts / youtube channels you would recommend
- How to meal plan for the week
- Educate people on how to still hit your goals with an injury
- Share your fitness journey – how it helped you mentally and phsyically
- Share your mistakes: Five mistakes I made as a beginner
- What’s in your gym bag?
- Things I wish I knew before I started the gym
- What supplements are actually worth taking?
Blog post ideas for those working in construction
- Share before and after results
- Five ways to improve your home’s value this year (For example: explain the benefits of building an extension or a conservatory and they might just book with the person who gave them the idea)
- The most common causes of a leaky roof
- Beginner’s guide to building a home (walk them through the relevant steps needed before you can lay the foundations)
- The benefits of having energy efficient windows and doors installed
- How to fix [insert common problem here]
- Share your wins. Nominated for an award? Trained an apprentice?
- The best materials to use for [insert your industry here] – give them options, explain the best tiles to use for a roof, walk them through the best materials to use for building a long-lasting home.
- The most popular heating systems
- How to turn your water supply off
Blog post ideas for a landscaping company
- 10 examples of well-designed outdoor living spaces
- Tips on choosing the best hot-tub
- How to spot Scotland’s invasive plants and how to get rid of them
- How to keep your grass looking healthy all year round
- Five ways landscaping can improve the value of your home
- Here’s why you should have a hot-tub for your holiday home
- The five flowers that look great all year round
- How often should you cut your grass?
- 10 tools everyone needs for DIY landscaping
- How to tell if you need a professional to take care of your landscaping?
Blog ideas for local shops
- Make the most of the holidays. Can you pick out five items in your shop that would make great Mother’s Day gifts? Christmas? Valentine’s Day? Use this to form a blog post
- Promote your time-limited offers
- Tell the shop’s history: What did it used to be?
- Have a new product in store? Create a how-to use it article/video
- Just like with a restaurant, you could profile where your food comes from
- Going green? Share your alternative packaging options
- Have a community notice section in store and then promote those events on your blog
- Selling local products? Share the process that went into creating the product or profile the artist
- Community work – Does your company give back to the community? Blog about it and help raise more awareness for the charity.
- Discuss future plans. Give readers a sneak peek at what you’ll do in the coming year to start generating interest.
- In shop events. Are you planning any events? Easter egg hunts? Elf on the Shelf?
Blog ideas for pubs
- Promote the live sports events that you will be showing for the month / week – Use a tool like Canva to create free professional looking posters to accompany the post / put on social media
- Promote your gigs
- Give readers a taste of what they could experience – post a video on your blog of a local musician performing a song
- Drink of the week or month? Get your creative juices flowing and create a unique cocktail to promote on your blog
- Have a beer garden / outside area? Show off some of the stunning scenery that we’re surrounded by, alongside a pint of course.
- Have a quiz? Promote your quiz night winners: Not only will you get local faces on your website, it will also help promote the event
- Five local whiskies you have to try before leaving Oban
- …Five local gins you have to try before leaving Oban
- Promote your food and drinks menus
- Host a poker tournament? A pool night? Regardless of the games you have in your bar, there will be someone who doesn’t know the rules. Educate your readers and make it that little bit easier for them to get involved.
Blog post ideas for estate agents
- Five tips to help sell your home this [insert season season]
- 10 questions to ask before buying a property
- Everything you need to know about the buying process
- What we love about living in Oban
- Home of the week – Promote on listing every week and pin the post at the top of your blog/social media page
- A beginner’s guide to getting a mortgage
- Beginner’s guide to buying your first property
- What you need to know before buying to let
- What we learned from selling with [Your company] – Interview previous clients about how the process went
- Checklists: Create checklists that either buyers or sellers can follow to ensure they have everything in place before making the next step
Blog post ideas for dentists
- Interview a previous client about their journey and how enhancing their smile improved their life
- What exactly is Invisalign? (or insert other popular treatment here)
- How often should you change your toothbrush?
- What products do dentists actually recommend?
- Five tips for a healthier smile
- Tips to get your kids brushing their teeth every night
- How long does it take to straighten teeth?
- How often should you see your dentist?
- Recovery advice for your treatments
- How to whiten your teeth
Blog post ideas for accounting / bookkeeping firms
- 10 purchases you didn’t know were tax deductible
- Compare the most popular bookkeeping apps and give your opinion
- Accounting jargon: What the abbreviations actually mean
- What you can do to make submitting your tax return easier for your accountant
- How to pay tax as a self-employed / sole-trader
- Create a small business self assessment tax return checklist
- Common mistakes people make when submitting their own taxes
- All the important deadlines you should be aware of in [insert year here]
- Five tips to keep your books in order
- Everything you need to know about working with an accountant
If you made it this far, well done. Hopefully this list was of some benefit. If anyone would like a hand to create their own blog, just get in touch.